1. Task Force - a temporary team assembled to
investigate a specific issue or problem.
2. Problem Solving Team - a temporary team
assembled to solve a specific problem.
3. Product Design Team - a temporary team assembled
to design a new product or service.
4. Committee - a temporary or permanent group of
people assembled to act upon some matter.
5. Work Group - a permanent group of workers who
receive direction from a designated leader.
6. Work Team (also called Self-Directed Work Team or
Self-Managed Work Team) - an ongoing group of workers who share a common mission who collectively manage
their own affairs within predetermined boundaries.
7. Quality Circle (today also under various other names) - a
group of workers from the same functional area who meet regularly to uncover and solve work-related problems and
seek work improvement opportunities.
The name of the group or team type is less important than the purpose for which it exists. These names simply give us a common language to help us define team types.
Team Development Process